Monday, 21 December 2009

My 25 favourite albums of 2009

As this is a brand spanking new site, I thought a list of my favourite albums of the year would give you a chance to see what kind of stuff I'm into. So here it is:

25. Dawes - North Hills
24. Manchester Orchestra - Mean Everything To Nothing
23. Baroness - Blue Record
22. Fuck Buttons - Tarot Sport
21. Brand New - Daisy
20. The Low Anthem - Oh My God, Charlie Darwin
19. Japandroids - Post-Nothing
18. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
17. Hockey - Mind Chaos
16. White Lies - To Lose My Life
15. MUTEMATH - Armistice
14. Passion Pit - Manners
13. Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More
12. Every Time I Die - New Junk Aesthetic 
11. The Veils - Sun Gangs
10. RX Bandits - Mandala
9. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
8. Alberta Cross - Broken Side Of Time
7. Set Your Goals - This Will Be The Death Of Us
6. Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
5. Architects - Hollow Crown
4. Silversun Pickups - Swoon 
3. Bombay Bicycle Club - I Had The Blues But I Shook Them Loose
2. Biffy Clyro - Only Revolutions
1. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion

If anyone agrees/disagrees, or fancies calling me a tasteless prick/demi-god then please feel free to do so below.

7 comments:

  1. hey man, checked out your blog as per your PM on last.fm. all i gotta say is not a bad list, you've got a fair amount of indie on the list but no mention of grizzly bear!? haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shit I knew there was something I'd forgotten! Cheers for the heads up man, bye bye Cartel...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not bad, here's mine.

    1. Poison The Well - The Tropic Rot
    2. Mastodon - Crack The Skye
    3. Trophy Scars - Bad Luck
    4. The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love
    5. Architects - Hollow Crown
    6. Deaf Havana - Meet Me HalfWay, At Least
    7. Biffy Clyro - Only Revolutions
    8. Every Time I Die - New Junk Aesthetic
    9. Flood Of Red - Leaving Everything Behind
    10. The Mars Volta - Octahedron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey just heading over here from the PM on last.fm. This is definitely a decent list but I have a few complaints. In my opinion, Manchester Orchestra should be a little further up on the list, that album is ridiculously good.

    I also wouldn't have included MUTEMATH's new album (I definitely does not have the same effect as their first full length) or the YYY's new album, I couldn't even get through a first listen on it and I love their older stuff.

    I LOVE that you included Alberta cross's album on this list, as I feel it had basically no promotion/exposure and definitely deserves some.

    Some albums I feel that should be on this list but didn't make it:

    Good Old War - Only Way to be Alone
    Polar Bear Club - Chasing Hamburg
    Julian Plenti - ...Is Skyscraper

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also forgot the Ancient Crux - Interracial Coupling EP..Only a 5-6 song EP, but this EP is fucking amazing..definitely check it out, if you haven't done so

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nick - nice list dude, defo more of a metal leaning than mine but some quality stuff on there. I was a little dissapointed with what I heard of Deaf Havana's album compared to their EP, but maybe I just need to give it more time.

    Sean - completely see where you're coming from re Manchester Orchestra - It's a great album, but I was a tad put off them from their live show - their singer was a bit of a stroppy bitch! I also agree the new MUTEMATH album wasn't as good as their first (and why bother changing their name??) but I still really dig most of the tracks. As for Good Old War I actually comletely forgot about them and will add it to the list, and I'll make sure to check out Julian Plenti and Acnient Crux for sure.

    Cheers for the comments lads, keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh actually just remembered why I didn't put Good Old War on the list, their album came out in 2008 I think...

    ReplyDelete